Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Gallery at the top floor of the Brewery


Yeah, so I don't know if this grouping could be defined as a collection or not, and then again, I don't really care so much anyway, but here they are..


A little difficult to make out in the picture, but this is a set of three riot gear shields.


This one I liked the best. If I had any money, I would've bought this. Maybe I'll just buy an American flag one of these days and do it myself. Unstitch the block of stars, and move it to the middle. I should've checked to see who the artist was, or even what the title was, but that just wasn't really on my radar at the moment. Trying to dissect and discuss this piece is a great example of overthinking and the general bullshit involved with modern art in general, but hey, that's what we love it for anyway so here goes..
It drew me in right away. I'm into fabrication, the way things are made, and this one was so simple and beautiful, it was perfect.
But onto the interpretations, I kept thinking: No man is an island. To me, this really brought out the increasing isolationism of the US under Bush the Younger.
Important Note: While cleaning out my car yesterday, I found the original price list for the show. The title of the Flag piece was, " No man is an Island" perhaps that's why I kept thinking it. Huh.

No comments: