Monday, May 11, 2009

Shusso Hossen at Yokoji Zen Mountain Center


This is the Buddha Hall at Yokoji, a Zen Monastery I did a six month residency at back in '03. Up in the foreground in the gold Kesa are two Sensei, Seisen and Taido. I went up to visit because some of the people I knew from my residence up there were going to be back for a seshin (extended meditation) and a ceremony called Shusso Hossen. It's when the Shusso, or head monk, gives a brief talk about a Koan, or Zen riddle, and has a brief ceremony. Part of this ceremony involves Dharma Combat, where some students will sign up ahead of time, and then question the Shusso's understanding of the particular Koan. I was persuaded to sign up on that list.


Here's Kevin, during the ceremony, right after his talk, just before he calls out the Sangha for Dharma Combat. (It sounds so deadly!) So, there I am, sitting by the ryoban with the monks, knowing I'm second up to ask a question, and challenge Kevin's understanding of the Koan, and he's just completely and absolutely put me on my ass with his talk.
The thing is, I'd only met Kevin briefly, years before. I knew very little about his life or circumstances, the only thing I knew, was the Koan, which was posted before the Shusso Hossen which was "Daizui's Kalpa Fire", which is as follows:

A monk asked Daizui,
"When the great kalpa fire bursts out, the whole universe [2] will be
destroyed. I wonder if IT will also be destroyed or not."
Daizui said,
"Destroyed."
The monk said,
"If so, will IT be gone with the other [3]?"
Daizui said,
"Gone with the other."

A monk asked Ryusai,
"When the great kalpa fire bursts out, the whole universe will be
destroyed. I wonder if IT will also be destroyed or not."
Ryusai said,
"Not destroyed."
The monk said,
"Why is it not destroyed?"
Ryusai said,
"Because it is the same as the whole universe."

[1]: see case 29 of Hekiganroku: The Shoyoroku case has an additional part
with Ryusai.
[2]: Literally: "a billion worlds."
[3]: The word "the other" means "the universe."

Some very flowery Zen type stuff, certainly. And it's a bit tough to know just what these Zen guys are talking about. To be honest, after damn near ten years sitting with these guys, I still don't quite get it. But anyway, if there's one thing I think I do get, it's that it's not about the prose, it's about US, the people trying to get it.
Anyhow, here's the kicker- Kevin, the monk who chose to expound on this poem, or koan, dropped a surprise on us (who didn't yet know). No nice way to say it, he's gotten his notice of death. He has terminal cancer.
Kevin is going to die soon.
And Kevin chose to confront it. And share.
If I sound glib, then stop thinking I sound glib. Or don't.
Kevin is going to die. And so will you. And so will I.
He gave, what I think, is the best talk at a Shusso Hossen I have yet heard. If you're ready to hear his talk, you can find it here:
here
and then,
here

And so, I was slated to test Kevin's understanding, to challenge him in Dharma Combat, to shout at him, and find out if he knew what he was talking about.
Me.
Questioning him.
And how exactly do you question a man who is slated to die? A man who is sitting on the edge of death. And me, and others, questioning HIM, about life and death.
But you still, as Kevin said, need to put one foot in front of the other.
So when it was my turn, I took it. I said:
Attention, Shusso. We've heard your talk. And thank you for sharing with us. You have many people (and he did, the Zendo was crammed full with near 75 people, the most I'd ever seen in there) and many Sangha members. All of us have made the way up this long dusty road to be here. And to hear you. And to share with you. And we've heard about the exhausatable and inexhaustable Universe. But tell us, Shusso, what will we do with with the rest of this beautiful Sunday?
And Kevin said,
"Well, I've cooked a lot of food, and I hope that you will all come with me, and eat, and enjoy this one beautiful day that will never come again."
And I'm humbled, and happy, and filled with wonderful food, from a day that will never come again.

3 comments:

jokai said...

thanks Jared

jokai said...

I'm still feeling very moved an awe struck . Of course I'll quickly forget once again the fact of my own mortality. But I'll never forget witnessing the sheer power of Kevin's honesty and great compassion.
Memento Mori

Cory said...

Love it. Great story. Zenlicious.