Sunday, May 31, 2009

Downtown Wine Bars


A quick trip downtown with Mike and Alex to check out the new places, and get some ideas for Noir. Bottlerock to start, of course. Great list, and they'll pop anything as long as you'll buy two glasses. Then onto Corkbar, pictured above. Beautiful new space with an all California list.


Finally, onto Rivera, a really elegant spot, with beautiful leather chairs to lounge back in and enjoy their all Spanish list. Our waitress Nicole, brought out a flight of white wines to blind me on. (Had to show off for my bosses) I said, when she brought them over that one would probably be a Garnacha Blanc and one would be an Albarino. She said yes. The first one I guessed Hondurabi Zuri because of the crisp acidity and faint lime citrus notes. Got that one right, so the next two had to be the Garnacha Blanc and Albarino, right? Process of elimination. But the next one just smelled so much like a Chard, I couldn't figure it out. This doesn't make sense, I said to her, this is nothing like a Garnacha Blanc or an Albarino, it smells like a Chard. That's cause it is, she said, I was just messing with you. AHA! 2 out of three so far. Then I guessed Albarino for the third which was a Verdello. Kind of embarrassing, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

No comments: