Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fait do do at Tipitina's

A Fait Do Do is a Cajun music party. Traditionally, they would meet up at one person's house to play music and have a party. They'd put all the babies in one room and "Fait Do Do" is what they'd say to the babies to put them to sleep.
Sitting down to listen to the music, I realized I knew one of the songs from my days at Sokolin Wine when we'd listen to a cd compilation called, Putomayo Presents Cajun. Not only did I recognize the song, but I recognized the voice. I went up to Bruce and asked him about it, and sure enough, it's his song that he wrote, and it's him playing it on that cd! He was kind enough to meet up with me for a beer when he was done and explain the origins of the song and translate it for me. It's all about the displacement of the Acadians.

No comments: