Monday, August 4, 2008

Tasting Event up at Clos Pepe


Mike Farwell was kind enough to drag me along for a couple Santa Barbara Pinot tastings. Our first stop was Clos Pepe where we got taste through a bunch of Wes Hagen's awesome wines. Wes Poured three recent vintages at his table, and on the other side, was a line up of 99-04 Library selections.


Here's Wes, after kindly pouring us through the 07,06,05, and (OH SO LOVELY) 07 Vigneron Select. There was only a little of the 07 VS to go around, and after Wes checked to make sure there was no one who didn't try it the first time, I fessed up that I had, but wondered if my honesty couldn't score me another splash. Hooray, It worked. SUCKER!
The 07 VS was just jumping. I'm usually the one to complain about young Cali Pinot, but this one shut me up. The straight 07 was really promising, the 06 still a little tight, but will be rewarded, and the 05 was really tasty with my rabbit and pesto pizza from the wood burning pizza oven.


The Library Selection of Clos Pepe and an added bonus of a Loring Clos Pepe vineyard.


The French Table. Part of the deal is to bring in a French Bottle to share with the rest of the crew. Mike brought an 03 Bouchard Pere et Fils Le Corton Grand Cru (spectacular), other favorites included a 92 Vacqueryas, an 05 Gigondas, a 96 Serafin Gevrey-Chambertin (maybe my wine of the table), and a 1986 Gruaud Larose.

No comments: