Monday, June 28, 2010

Hand roll party with Eric and Kumi.


Hand roll party with Eric and Kumi in Santa Monica, and first stop was Nijiya. I begged to come along so I could pick up the inner secret arts of sourcing good supplies and the best ingredients. Eric, my 6'3" red-headed buddy from San Diego, and his Fiance, Kumi, of Chiba, Japan, led me through the store, explaining the difference in grades of rice and nori, and how to find good fish. And then, I got a special Lychee soda with a little glass ball you push down into the drink which is a special treat for the Japanese kids at carnivals...


Always the most awesome hosts, these guys treated me to their favorite Sake, not even available in the US. I believe the translation was something like, Hatchi Shui San, or 8 Ocean Mountain, or Mr 8 Ocean- as San, or mountain, is also, our equivalent of Mister, you know, like Daniel-San... Hopefully Eric will send me some of the pictures of the meal and of Kumi preparing our magnificent feast, because it was AWESOME!

No comments: