Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Providence




Wow. There are times when I get taken away. Transported? No. I never left my seat. Glued to it. Transfixed. Well, not entirely true, but I did have a really wonderful experience. My friend Mollie texted me out of the blue yesterday to see if I wanted to have a dinner adventure. You never really know what that will entail with Mollie- Could be Ghetto tacos, or Ethiopian Gelato, or Afghani Froyo. After a brief discussion, we decided on one of the three, Two Michelin Star restos in LA, Providence. I'd never eaten there, and have been really wanting to go for a long time. Free corkage Monday nights made it a necessity. Mollie brought a Champagne Rose, and a Slutty Australian Viognier. We went with the Champagne. And I brought an '02 Meursault-Charmes "Les Dessus" from Antonin Guyon. Both of 'em, STUNNING. The Champagne was light on it's feet, but substantial, and the Meusault was an inspiration, a learning experience. The Guyon was almost restrained at first, not showing too much on the intro, even a bit coy, but then, wow did it open up on the finish, maybe one of the best White Burg finishes I've ever experienced.

Mollie and I both did the tasting menu, in fact, we did one five course menu, and one full tasting menu, which overlapped perfectly. Really have to hand it to these guys, the service was perfect from start to finish, and I have to definitely put this down as the best restaurant experience I've had in LA to date...


providence market menu

kanpachi (kagoshima, japan) *
crispy rice crackers, cilantro blossoms, soy crème fraîche
txakolina, talai berri 2008

santa barbara sea urchin
champagne beurre blanc, fines herbes
(add american caviar, $20 supplemental)
crémant de bourgogne “blanc de blancs,” domaine parigot & richard m.v.

bobby’s block island sea scallop *
japanese eggplant, rhubarb, cashews, reduction of vadouvan and jurançon
riesling kabinett, kaseler nies’chen, erben von beulwitz 2007

wild halibut (sitka, alaska) *
summer squash, black olive, dried apricot, basil
chardonnay, the pinnacles, michaud 2002

wild king salmon (skeena river, b.c.)
french breakfast radish, kumquats, asparagus
rosé “albemarle,” kluge estate 2009

marcho farms veal tenderloin (franconia, pa) *
bacon, almond, english peas, maitake mushrooms
pinot noir, sangiacomo vineyard, vergari 2007

market cheeses
welschriesling beerenauslese, rosenhof 2006

melon soup
strawberries, lime granita

yuzu curd, meringue *
blackberry sorbet, jasmine
moscato d’asti “riveto,” dante rivetti 2009

No comments: