Thursday, April 23, 2009

2007 Drouhin Burgundy Pre-Offering


2007 Clos Des Mouches. This was the first bottle popped in the US, just came over from France this morning. Drouhin just switched distributors and this is the new company's first run with them in LA. Out to West Hollywood to Ago (DeNiro's place on Melrose) for a pretty substantial line up, they really stepped up to the plate, pouring the Chablis Vaudesir, Puligny Montrachet Les Folatieres, Clos des Mouche Blanc (No Les Clos, Corton Chucky, Bat-Mont or Laguiche) Hey, I understand. And on the Red side, Gevrey Chambertin, some Beautiful P Cru Chambolle Musigny (My WOTN), and some Clos Vougeot. Pas mal. Even got a chance to meet Laurent Drouhin. He was very gracious. Sure wouldn't have minded getting a chance to taste the Vosne-Rominee and Def some Grands-Ech. but thems the breaks... See previous Drouhin tasting notes here


Broad sweeping statements about the wines and vintages: The 07's seem to be pretty good as near as I can tell, nice accessable fruit, good balance. To be honest, I simply don't have the experience to predict the future when it comes to Burgundy. There are people out there that can (or at least claim to) and I'm just not one of them, but anyhow, while no 05 or 02, think the 07's'll do quite nicely. My Winners: Chablis Vaudesir (GC) Okay, so I'm a sucker for Vaudesir, right next to the Grand Cru Les Clos, why pay more? The Puligny Les Folatieres was lovely, and so was the Clos des Mouches, but for the dough, my money's on the Vaudesir. Onto the Reds, the straight Vero is doing a pretty interesting job of a more modern style, and nice and inexpensive. My winner though, was the Chambolle-Musigny Premier Cru. The Premier Cru of Les Amoureuses is right next to the Grands Cru Les Musigny. I know, I know, I'm a real estate whore, but hey, maybe I'm just about emerging neighborhoods.... The Clos Vougeot was delicious, but I'll take the Chambolle Musigny at half the price.

No comments: