Sunday, April 5, 2009

Gallery Night: Kehinde Wiley At Roberts and Tilton, and then onto LACMA


This one is "Napolean leading the army over the Alps". It's the first of Wiley's works I ever encountered, back in '03 I think. Currently it's at the Brooklyn Museum. This I think is my favorite of his pieces. He likes to take classical paintngs and scuptures and reimagine them with young African American men in the images. His latest show was about Brazil, which was still interesting, but didn't quite capture my imagination as much as Napolean rocking Timberlands (Double click on the image to see details)


Here we are in the thick of the opening.. People seemed to have a very hard time keeping their eyes on the paintings. How LA.



I tried to adapt a sort of patrician air next to the painting, but Gavin kept making me laugh.


Late Night LACMA which was a bit of a bust because we'd just been there a few days before. The paper mache exhibit was exactly as lame as expected, but I could go back to the Broad wing to check out the Serra's over and over and over.


Gav in the midst of one of Serra's giants.

No comments: