Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fun new wines from the OC portion of the NVV tasting


LA traffic's a bitch. 2 Hours to get down to the trade tasting, so I missed it. But luckily, Maureen Taylor was there to hand me off a half bottle of her delicious 06 Diamond Terrace, and I just happened to walk by a lonely bottle of 06 Neal, half gone, sadly waiting for someone who cared to stick a cork in it and take along for the rest of the day's journey- starting with meeting Sean Larkin and his winemaker Bruce Devlin, for drinks at Charlie Palmer's, which had, get this, electronic tablets, like iPads, for a wine list, AND, a retail shop, INSIDE, the restaurant, where you could buy your wine, and then pop it right there in the restaurant FOR NO CORKAGE FEE... As a consumer I love it, but as a somm, I don't get it, Really? I mean, hooray for cheaper wine, but does this work for the resto? I guess it must. Ah, how the world changes right in front of my eyes....
So then off to the evening's event at The District, an outdoor tasting of 30 or 40 Napa wineries. Lots of winners, and for some reason, I keep noticing the Sauv Blancs. What's up with that? How can I go to a big Napa Cab tasting, and walk away remembering the Sauv Blancs? Well, it's my notes, and I can remember whatever I'd like, so this time it was Three Clicks Sauv Blanc and Entre Nous. So there. Oh wait, lest I forget, the Signorello Estate Seta, Semillon and Sauv Blanc. Ha. Take that, Napa Cabs!

No comments: