Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Haul


It's been a big week of tastings and it's only Tuesday. Sunday started with a cheese wine and chocolate event at Learnaboutwine.com Monday was the Napa Valley Vintners, then Mosaic Wines, then, Napa Nightlife at "Elevate", the night club for Takami, Then today it was The Gelinas Portfolio. Tomorrow is Napa Valley Vintners in the OC, Thursday is the Henry Wine Group Portfolio... I may not make it to Friday. An interesting plethora of producers to be sure, but maybe too many to mention. Highlights?
From The Napa VV: Neal, Larkin, Trefethen, Shafer, Schramsburg, Peter Franus, Lang and Reed, Gemstone, Staglin, Barlow, Diamond Terrace.
New guys (to me):
A Bordeaux blend from Tournesol.
Coup de Foudre-from Danielle Price, the director of wines for Wynn resorts, John Schwartz, the owner of Amuse Bouche, and Frank Sinatra’s three children, Tina, Nancy, and Frank, Jr.


So then, the Gelinas tasting... great small book of really top producers, like my favorites (as always) Alta Maria, Native 9, Herman Story (Russell's awesome labels pictured below, which my godfather will especially appreciate) Sans Liege, etc. These three are the guys to watch, as well as newcomer, Field Recordings, with an unfiltered Chennin Blanc that spoke to me...



The middle picture is from Russell's "On The Road" Grenache. I love that wine. It's my third favorite Kerouac novel by the way, Dharma Bums and The Subterraneans being my first and second, respectively. Butanyfuckinghow, I love that picture, and when I heard Russell was coming into town, I brought him a piece of road that I'd found and kept, a piece with a bit of the yellow line still hanging on it. It's really quite beautiful, and one of those lovely things that transports you, particularly if aided by inadvertently ingesting rotten/ing matter of various forms. Here, for your viewing pleasure, are said pieces of road. Russell's:


And Mine:

No comments: