Saturday, July 19, 2008

Low Rent and Kitch. Did you really think you'd escape the hipsters?


So I'm clearly behind the times here, but seeing as I'm not from LA anyway, I don't feel so bad in just coming to realize the burgeoning art scene in Chinatown. It's kinda neat actually. Interspersed between all of these "traditional" chinese restaurants and antique and medicine shops, you'll see the occasional gallery. The locals don't quite seem to know what to make of it. Like this guy...


He stood politely at the door for awhile, until I went over to him, Tecate in hand, to ask if he'd like to come in. He held up a placard listing all of his fortune telling abilities. He didn't work for beer, so I took a pass.



Yet another gallery opening, smack in the middle of a small back alley, full of Chinatown (and now hipster) goodness.


Perhaps the new location for my wine bar? Why Stem Wine Bar, when it can be Black Dragon Wu-Shu Kung Fu Society? The servers can be dressed as Ninjas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a similar restaurant in NYC. I haven't visited it yet... http://www.ninjanewyork.com/
- Shephathiah

Anonymous said...

You know I'm a hater!
- Shephathiah