Saturday, July 19, 2008

Rules Help Control the Fun

Lest you think I was only at the Bonelli Contemporary's latest installment merely for the free booze, a quick run down of some of the delights held within...

Neighborhood infusions. Now, if I have these correctly, they are Vodkas infused with locally found, fallen fruit from the surrounding areas. (Delightfully disgusting!) Such as Los Feliz Bitter Orange and Koreatown Kumquat. Kinda catchy to team up with 360 Vodka (What goes around comes back around) It's just stupid enough to be believable, and I bet they've got the hipsters lined up. The one thing keeping me from believing these are real is the ripped label where the swing top opens. Other than that though, why the hell not?


In the tradition of young life artwork, this watercolor on paper was very provacative. I waved back and forth on this one, myself. I couldn't quite decide how I felt about the passed out girl on the floor with her spectator's feet in the foreground, standing over her. If you double click on the image though, you can see it's a well crafted, almost pixilated image. Not sure what the has to say about the social commentary, but there we are.


This one, again, left me somewhat uncertain, but it's the little things that get me. You'll need to double click again. Guy and a girl at a table with an empties sculpture in the middle of the table, and piled on the passed out boyfriend. I do like the wistful look on the young lady, and the way her converse are perched on each other just so. In a possible homage to Escher, there are steel globes in the corner reflecting concave (Is that the right term, would it be spherical reflections?) of the others in the room, most notably the artist.

No comments: