Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tasting with Ted Lemon and Vanessa


Got to start off the day tasting with Ted Lemon through his really beautiful Littorai line up. I think the hallmark of Ted's wines is the structural balance. Maybe that's the hardest part to pull off. Hell, I don't know, I'm not a wine maker, I just get to sit back and taste. Sometimes it makes me feel awful. These people are out there, in the fields, with weather radios pasted to their ears during harvest, and then slugging away to craft these wines. Then I sit back and make some lame ass proclamation. Well, anyway, Ted's stuff is great. If you can get your hands on some, don't miss the opportunity. Really, really, delicious.
Especially luscious and beautiful, the 06 Hirsh Vyd Pinot, and the 06 Heintz Chard, but there wasn't a single one I didn't thoroughly enjoy.



Next up, 2007 Albert Bichot tasting at Michael Mina's XIV. I wasn't crazy about the 07 Chablis. Very nice, nothing wrong, but perhaps a bit too much oak influence. Some of the crispness and acidity wasn't quite Daron Ro' Watson
"laser beam focused" enough for me. The Puligny Montrachet was on point, one of my favorite two whites of the tasting along with the Meursault Premier Cru Les Charmes which, in my humble opinion completely pantsed the Le Montrachet at 6 times the price.


Onto the Rouge, a reasonable Volnay, some of the Pommards except for the Rugiens which was a bit tight and hidden, and of course, the Grands-Echezeaux which was a revelation of purity and fruit. Delicious today, but will really strut it's stuff in about 10 years. Had to go back and taste it three times just to make sure.



Then onto Pizzaria Mozza for a pizza with squash blossoms, tomato & burrata, a nice Fruilano, and then a bottle of 2001 Aglianico for good measure.

No comments: