Thursday, January 17, 2008

Mark di Suvero Sculpture


This is one of my favorite sculptures. It's right by the Hirshhorn Gallery in DC and a truly incredible piece. I was instantly grabbed by it the first time I saw it and really curious about it. It has a hanging I beam that's been torch cut on the edges, and bent. The sheer tensile strength of a steel I beam is amazing, and the forces used to bend it must have been great, but once the edges are cut it becomes possible to bend. The thing is though, it looks to me as if his original bend created a piece which was incorrectly weighted and he had to re-cut and weld a new piece. I think he then put the original cut piece down at the bottom as the base. The one hanging bent piece, (suspended by a cable) twists and bends in the wind so that it's angles will parallel the structure of the static piece at different times. I'm probably over-reading the piece, but I really love it, and it was beautiful against the backdrop of snow we had.

No comments: