Friday, June 13, 2008

Jikoji




The beautiful grounds at Jikoji. Driving randomly down rural hwy 35 through rolling hills, I came across a small, envelope sized sign for Jikoji Zen Center. I figured I had to stop in. Wandered around a little, and snuck a peek inside the zendo, and then followed the sound of voices to one of the small buildings in the back. There, sitting and having tea were a few students and the resident teacher. They were very nice, and offered me the chance to wander the grounds or sit and have a cup of tea. I decided to wander around first.
Up top is an image of the memorial site for Kobun Chino Otagawa Roshi, with a small bucket of water and a dipper for the water offering. I paid my respects and poured some water over the stone.
Then, images of the beautiful hills and two moon lake. I stopped back in for a cup of tea and heard the neat stories about the grounds origin as an alternative school, built by the students, and how it evolved into a commune, and then transformed into a zen center. I would have liked to have stayed a few days, but it was time to move on.

No comments: