Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Vineyard 7 and 8




Wes Steffens gave me a chance to taste through his family's Chard (the 2004 Vineyard 8 Chardonnay) and the Cab (2004 Vineyard 7 Cabernet Sauvignon) While up there, he toured me through their fantastic and brand new event space, and down through the cellar. Unfortunately, they're not open to the public. But join their wine club TODAY!
Luc Morlet (past winemaker at Peter Michael) is now currently on board at 7 and 8, where they are putting out beautifully graceful, rich, and complex wines. Their Chardonnay, with an amazing mouthfeel was possibly the biggest most graceful barrel aged chard I've had while on my trip. Rumour has it, half their Chard vines come from Kongsgaard cuttings. From what I've tasted, I'd believe it. And their Cab, just continued to develop while in the glass, balancing out depth, power, and true Cabernet complexity that only seems to come from mountain fruit. "It's not that in your face dynamite from the valley floor," he said unapologetically, "it's different up here, it just takes longer."

No comments: